Top 10 Tips for Home Security 2017
1. Always lock the door and close the windows when you go out, even if you’ll only be out for a short time.
2. All external doors should have 3 locking points. Mortice locks will add considerable strength to your door.
3. Don’t leave spare keys outside or in a garage or shed. Keep garden sheds and garages locked.
4. Keep car and garage keys out of sight in the house.
5. Don’t leave window and door keys in their locks.
6. Always draw your curtains at night and make sure valuable items cannot be easily seen from outside.
7. Use timers for lights and radios if you will be out of the house overnight. They create the impression that someone is at home.
8. Visible burglar alarms, good lighting and security lighting act as deterrents. Particularly ensure that recessed areas and doorways have good security lighting. Make sure that lights don’t disturb your neighbours and that alarm systems have the obligatory 20 minute cut off.
9. Make sure that garden tools or ladders that could be used for force entry into your home are not left lying around.
10. Make sure that any security improvements you make to your house don’t prevent you from getting out as quickly as possible in case of fire.